My Most Recent QSO's

Saturday, December 17, 2011

RD3A Moscow Russia


I still can't believe RD3A in Moscow Russia returned my call on 40 meters CW this evening. Of course, he's a contest station calling (and obviously pointing at the US) with a massive antenna array. It's by far, my best contact on 40 meters at a little over 5,000 miles. I'm amazed as he was the only station I'm hearing on the entire 40 meters band. Maybe that's why I was able to work him?

My wife and I had been out playing bridge with a local group of Grandparents. I'm glad I was lucky enough to work this station. I NEVER expected this surprise on 40 meters. It's NOT my best band by far but the conditions must be just right tonight.

6 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi John, that's great. I have some experiences too on 40 meter, while the band is almost empty, suddenly DX appear. Always worthwhile to call CQ on a silent band. 73 Paul

Jspiker said...

Hello Paul,

I'll be casually listening also on 40 meters from now on. I've been hearing some Italian stations but never expected to work any of them. I never in a million years expected anyone in Russian to hear me with 5 watts from here. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello John, Congrats on the FB QSO. Yes this is unbelievable, but it happens from time to time. hi
Vasily RD3A has Excellent Ears and listens very good. He is an excellent operator. Over the years, I worked Vasily with 2.5 mW up to 5 watts over a distance of 1331 miles. hi
73, Bert

Jspiker said...

Hello Bert,

I still can't believe he heard me at this distance. (on 40 meters) The next time I hear him, I'll start transmitting at about 3 watts and see what happens. Hihi

I'm sure if there were others trying for a contact that it would have been much more difficult on my end. He answered on about my fifth call.

Some of the ears, these guys have are just amazing.

recumbent conspiracy theorist said...

Another nice contact John -Nice work.

40 meters is my favorite slice of spectrum.

Have a nice Christmas 73
Mike W8MDE

Jspiker said...

Hello Mike,

I also spend a lot of time on 40 meters. It seems I can always find a nice QSO there but DX is rare for me.