My Most Recent QSO's

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

5N7M Nigeria in Africa


I've been hearing him for several days and thought he was just too far away to work with 3 watts. Little did I know today was going to be my lucky day! Ivan (5N7M) was weak when I first heard him on 17 meters, and I wasn't sure if he had copied my call correctly; so after a 10 minute wait, I confirmed it with a second contact. Ivan is 5,784 miles from me, and my longest contact yet with my QRP station.

This is another new DX entity for me, and my first good contact into Africa. 


On another note, last night was the October NAQCC CW Sprint. The band was just terrible here in the valley. I made a few 80 meter contacts with the random wire but didn't have a high score. I heard nothing on 20 meters, and again, made most of my contacts on the 40 meter band. I was able to work five different states, which is no big deal. But I now have more than enough contacts for the next NAQCC award.

14 comments:

recumbent conspiracy theorist said...

Nice catch John -Congrats!

-Mike W8MDE

Jspiker said...

Thanks Mike...yes; I'm very happy with this one!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations John. That's very inspiring.

Dave
AA7EE

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Nice DX John, especially the way you work radio. I contacted 5N7M a while ago on 12m SSB. 73, Bas

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello John, Congrats on the QSO with Nigeria. You amaze the world with the indoor antenna's in the valley. hi, 73, Bert

VE9KK said...

Great work getting Nigeria it seemed that waiting paid off. I have found the same with stations that are in the distance and that is....if I wait the propagation god's may smile on me. Its now time to move on to your next longest QRP contact!!!

Jspiker said...

Hello Dave....just lucky hihi

Jspiker said...

Hello Mike,

Australia is the ultimate!

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi John, you are doing good. Africa is always nice to have in the log. 73 Paul

Jspiker said...

Hello Paul,

Thanks...it was a surprise to me.

Jspiker said...

Hello Bas...I was VERY lucky with this one.

Jspiker said...

Hello Bert,

Just in the place at the right time. This one is 1,929.35 miles per watt. I guess since I'm using an indoor antenna, it's a good one. I hope the bands hold up.

Dick said...

I'm a bit late with a congrat, but here it is. I worked him from my USA QTH a couple years ago and not since.

I've gone back to full-time QRP again.

17 meters was a disappointment for me so back on 20.

73 Dick

Jspiker said...

Hello Dick,

I was VERY surprised when he responded to my call (especially twice). If only I could add another 50 feet of wire.....