My Most Recent QSO's

Sunday, March 29, 2015

2015 Charleston Hamfest


For the second year, I gave a power point presentation at the Charleston Hamfest. I love the opportunity to stand in front of a "captive audience" and talk about the NAQCC Club. Like last year, I gave away a "dual band handi-talkie" which was randomly drawn from  those listening to the presentation.

John Shannon (K3WWP) graciously gave me the use of his NAQCC banner again this year. The banner makes a nice "focus point" for those attending the hamfest. I'd highly recommend talking to John if you're talking about the NAQCC club in your home town. It's a great promo item! I also gave out my "club cards" to those were interesting in us.




The presentation was well received. If you recall, last year I actually set up my QRP station and used a simple dipole to make DX contacts in Denmark, Germany and France while at the hamfest.

This was a very busy day for the WV Chapter. Eric (AC8LJ) provided food and beverages to us at his home at noon, and for that reason, I actually left the hamfest after my presentation. My wife and I had another obligation at the University of Charleston in the early evening hours. We're both active in a senior "bridge" group. We had dinner and played cards  until around 10 PM.

Much to my surprise, I had a message on the answering machine from the Hamfest committee when we returned from playing bridge. To my utter amazement, I was awarded the "Kanawha Valley Amateur Radio Operator of the Year 2015 Award". 

I'm very proud to display this nice plaque on my ham shack wall. 


This plaque is the result of our group efforts here at the WV Chapter. I would not have received this award if not for the support of our members. Our "core group" here in Charleston is devoted to moving forward as the spring season arrives. My thanks to all involved in our Chapter. I would not have received it without their support.

No comments: