My Most Recent QSO's

Monday, July 30, 2012

The Month of July


Time sure flies when you're having fun. It's difficult to believe this month has passed so quickly. I've worked 47 stations this month on 40 meters. Of those, 12 have been QRP stations and 19 have been members of the North American CW QRP Club. (NAQCC) . As like last month, just about all have been near the 7040 frequency.

I'm still working on an award with the NAQCC club; and these totals should place me very near my goal of  500 two way QRP contacts. The club offers a nice certificate for this accomplishment as an incentive for club members to use CW at QRP levels.

I'll start counting numbers again and arrange my log book for submission and verification.

I'm amazed that after almost 20 years of working strictly QRP, I still work new stations every day on 40 meters. This month I've again worked many interesting stations.

I recently worked a new station in Charleston, WV. Eric (AC8LJ) has appeared on both 40 and 20 meters. We had an extremely long QSO and I look forward to meeting him in person soon.

An old friend of mine in Pennsylvania (WA3SCM) recently announced his retirement on the first of September. We had a very nice long congratulatory QSO a few days ago.

I've worked two special event stations this month and a mobile station driving home from work in Nashville, Tennessee. (KD4MV/M) I love the bluegrass music there.

The weather is returning to somewhat normal this week. As I walked the state capitol grounds a few days ago, I couldn't help but notice this guy washing windows. I had thoughts of using this fine "pole" for an antenna support. He was washing these windows from the ground level and four floors above.


Two of these poles on a mountain peak should work wonders for a simple QRP station. 

Of course, anything would be better than washing windows like these guys. I haven't seen people this comfortable with a Boatswains Chair since my Navy days. I've done it 20 or 30 feet above the waterline of the sea. Salt water is much softer than hard concrete. I couldn't do this..... 





Despite my obvious wish (it's plainly stated in bold lettering on the QRZ.com site) to confirm all my contacts via the E-QSL site, I still continue to receive cards without a SASE. Yesterday, I got a notice from the ARRL Bureau asking for a large envelope. They have several waiting for me and I sent extra large self addressed and stamped envelopes with some extra cash with them. For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone seems to want a paper card. eh ??

As a parting observation, this month I worked a station at about 700 miles. He boastfully stated he was running a KW and made a nice comments about traveling through Charleston for business purposes. Yea...that's a lot of power; but I only sent him a 559 compared to my 579 signal. I must have insulted him when I sent QRP 5W and indoor Isotron antenna. He never responded afterwards even tho I mentioned relatives living in his area.

It's not about power, it's propagation and taking advantage of unique band opportunities. When the conditions present themselves, go for it!


7 comments:

VE9KK said...

Good morning John, nice to see the QRP contacts are coming your way. I have been putting to much effort toward this dam DXCC jubilee award and not enough time just having QSO's. Funny that ham did not get back to you...oh well.

Jspiker said...

Hello Mike,

Probably just band condx...Hihi

Certificates are colorful and certainly worth the effort but really dry if you know what I mean.

Perhaps someday I can work a few more DX stations but I feel I've about worked my limit at my location.

Good luck on the DXCC award. I envy you. You do a fantastic job with your station!

recumbent conspiracy theorist said...

Good work John! 500 QRP contacts is sure a feat to be proud of. I'll be watching for that cert once you make it there.

73
Mike, W8MDE

Jspiker said...

Close, very close, I'm still counting and arranging my log book.

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello John, I was in a bookshop today, when I saw a book "1000 places to visit in the USA". I opened it, on the page of Charlston! hi. The book said to visit your beautiful city. hi.
Great fun to read about your Isotron adventures. Good luck in QRP.

Jspiker said...

Hello Bert ,

I didn't know we were famous ?

But I do like it here very much ! Not to boast , but for a city of 50,000 we have a lot to offer. Come and visit sometime.

VE9KK said...

Hello John, believe me there is no skill with the contacts I make with the low power....it seems to me that I just fluke into them.
But thanks for the complements.
Have a good weekend.