My Most Recent QSO's

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

50 Feet of Random Wire


My best contact yet into Bulgaria LZ2NP was a few days ago in the city of Ruse. The distance is 5,183 miles and I used my new 50 feet of random wire for an antenna. I'm making a LOT of contacts on the 30 meter band now, and loving every minute of it.


This month (and it's not over yet) I've worked another eight DX stations at better than 1000 miles per watt. They include HA8BM in Hungary, LY5O in Lithuania, SP6EIY and SP7HOV in Poland, S57DX in Slovenia, UA2K in Kaliningrad, and OK1CF in the Czech Republic. My 1000 MPW contacts are now at 26. In addition to those, I've also worked CO2OQ in Cuba and HT9H in Nicaragua.




The HT9H and the UA2K were new DX entities for me. I'm up to 55 now.

I've also discovered a lot of QRP operators on this band and worked seven of them recently. Much to my surprise, nearly all have been NAQCC members!


 LY5O 

There's a few more days left in this month and every night I seem to work another good station. I'm being very selective now and trying to choose the best of the lot.

Thirty meters has become my band of choice.

The 50 foot random is allowing me to work the entire spectrum. According to the meter on the MFJ tuner, I'm getting less than 4 watts into the wire. My results seem to speak otherwise....




8 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Good to read you had a lot of fun on the radio. Nice contacts, propagation must be good. Time to plan a visit to my radioshack....73, Bas

Jspiker said...

Hello Bas,

Yes, 30 meters seems to be hot for me. It's been a hoot!

Dick said...

Great 30M DX, John. I remember when that band first opened. It was the hot QRP CW band of choice back then. Good considerate low and QRP cw operators and no split frequency QSOs. 73 GL Dick

VE9KK said...

Great work with only 50 foot wire antenna and 30m is great up this way as well.

Jspiker said...

Hello Dick,

I think the 200 watt limit is part of the fun too. Without the big guns, I'm hearing a lot of stuff out there.

Jspiker said...

Hello Mike,

Lot's of fun here. I think I'll hang around here for awhile.

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello John, small antenna, great results. Yes, random wire and a tuner will do the trick. Fine entry. 73, Bert

Jspiker said...

Hello Bert,

I've been using the random wire exclusively now for all bands. I'm looking forward to the next NAQCC Sprint. I'll be able to add stations from the 80 meter band. It should give me an advantage.