My Most Recent QSO's

Monday, December 23, 2013

A Surprise Card in the Mail


I was elated to work ZD8X on "Ascension Island" last month. I considered myself both fortunate, and lucky, to work this new DX entity for me. At the time, there were hundreds of operators trying to work him. This isolated Island in the Atlantic Ocean, between South America and Africa, was a long, long way from West Virginia, and there were thousands wanting him in their log books. .

I remember Jorma (OH2KI) skillfully pulling my 3 watt QRP signal out of the enormous bee hive. It was a difficult contact. My salutations and congratulations are to him for such a wondrous accomplishment!

Anyone who can do such a thing at 5,362 miles, is a true magician!


I rarely request a confirmation QSL card from a long distance DX station, and this card was no exception. My verification's are normally done through the E-QSL site since postage is much too expensive now. For those wanting a paper card, I always require a SASE, and am happily willing to return my card to them. I'll put his return card in the mail immediately.

The thing that really impresses me about this card is the time Jorma (OH2KI) took to send me an additional special acknowledgement:


He apparently read my comments from my earlier blog entry, and made the special effort to send me this note. Professional operators such as this, and the entire ZD8X team, are what makes this hobby so rewarding and fulfilling for all of us.

This is a nice Christmas present for me.

Thank You!

4 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hi John, wow! This is what we do it for. The true gems of ham radio. A once in a lifetime contact that you will remember all your life. Merry christmas & happy new year. 73, Bas

Jspiker said...

Hello Bas,

Indeed..., the perfect Christmas present from a fine group of special friends on the other side of the world and below the equator.

I will remember this contact for many many years!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you also.

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello John, congrats on the fine new DXCC. Nice to see the Log. Good Miles per Watt score.
The main point is to stay cool while answering the CQ. hi. Good luck with the next DXCC. 73, Bert

Jspiker said...

Hello Bert,

Thank you and the best to you and yours this holiday season.