My Most Recent QSO's

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Sint Maarten Island Contact


I've been listening to PJ7/ G3TXF on Sint Maarten Island for several days now and hoping for the opportunity to add another new DX entity to the log book. I made this contact easily last night with a single attempt on the 30 meter band.

Sint Maarten is another one of those small islands in the Caribbean area and a tourist destination within a few short hours flight time from the United States. Princess Juliana International Airport is an unusual landing spot because it's very short runway for these big planes. They need every foot of pavement possible to avoid an embarrassing "dip in the pool".  


Not for the faint of heart, standing on the beach here is a unique opportunity to experience a new form of wind surfing. Watching giant aircraft landing overhead is spectacular enough, but the "take offs" are quite another thing. Wind surfing takes on an entirely new form, from the rear of one of these planes, when they take off for the home flight.


My DXCC list is getting really short now. Despite my enjoyment of a long CW QSO the last few months.

I'll be listening for just a few more islands now. 

I'm glad G3TXF decided to spend a few days here and brought along a HF radio. 



4 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi John, nice catch, I like the island of St. Maarten. I worked PJ7 in 2011. Have a nice weekend, 73 Paul

Jspiker said...

Hello Paul,

Those small islands are very nice places to visit!

This Winding Road said...

Those planes landing so close to the beach and ocean is just crazy! I'm looking forward to doing some 30 meter work on my indoor antenna as well. By far my most favorite night time DX bands. Happy Holiday's John and keep posting. I very much enjoy reading your on air adventures and then the interesting information on the places you have worked. 73, Phil

Jspiker said...

Hello Phil,

I find reading about the countries I've worked very interesting too. If not for the radio hobby, I would have never know about many of them.

I also love 30 meters. It's a fantastic band for CW "only" operators. My longest distant contacts have been on this band.