I've been busy with some inside house painting this afternoon. I finished early and tuned into twenty meters but didn't hear a lot. I worked another QRP station in Vermont with an unusual call sign. I had to listen carefully as he sent KX9X/1 from Vermont.
It's always nice to work another QRP station.
Then I had a short QSO with W5ZR in St Martinville Louisiana. We exchanged SKCC numbers.
It was right after that I noticed some of the "big boys" knocking out stations "fast as a jack rabbit can run". They were sending VERY fast. Hihi
Two of the stations I worked this evening were causing large "pile ups" but I was hearing them clearly and despite the "blistering" speed they were sending, I was able to work them.
It took me several times before SP5S, (in Poland) returned my call, but he returned my call clearly (along with some more stuff that I couldn't copy). I still wonder how he heard me. I sent back 559 WV and John and he was off to the next station.
I was just recovering from the first exchange when, a few moments later, I heard a "blistering fast" station from Italy. (IK2CIO)
He was sending so fast that it took me (literally) a good 5 minutes before I was sure that I the call correct. When he answered my call, It was all I could do to respond fast enough not to embarrass myself. My gut feeling says he was at about 35 wpm. This contact was a real challenge but well worth the effort.
It was a welcome relief when I heard OK3AA sending at a slower pace which I could follow easily. Milan was in the Czech Republic and we actually took a minute to say hello. He asked me how much power I was running when I sent my /QRP on the end of my call. I responded with 5 watts and an indoor antenna. Hihi He also got a chuckle out of it. Milan was just 3 miles short of another 5,000 mile contact for me. (should have been at 4 watts. hihi)
That's three more DX stations this afternoon.
I'm glad I finished my painting. (I primed a window and will put the finishing coat on tomorrow) We had a tremendous storm this evening. It brought down some of the neighbors tree limbs on our property. No real damage, but I removed a small branch from the cable TV wire. I was afraid it would break the wire as it blew in the wind.
I might have worked a few more DX stations (if I had the perseverance) but I'm quite happy with these. The band was in very good shape again.