My Most Recent QSO's

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Radio Society of Great Britain


My first contact this evening was Special Event Station G100RSGB, who by the way, had a great signal into West Virginia. I was surprised when I worked him, because there was quite a "pile up" and it required a wide "split" of a little more than the standard "one up". I've learned over the years, that under these conditions, I need to be on the "very far side " of the group. I was able to work him on my 5th attempt.

The Great Britain Radio Club is celebrating 100 years of operation now. While looking at their web site, I found an interesting and very functional memorabilia item. I can never remember seeing anything like this in the past.

It's made in good old USA by the Vibroplex Company. I use this model myself, and I credit it with my recent increased speed on the HF bands. Vibroplex is producing only 250 of them, and of course, they're individually numbered. The "special keys" have the "Radio Society of Great Britain" logo attached to the upper part of the base. I like the gold base and the blue paddles with the logo.

Before shutting down for the evening I also worked OM3SX in the Slovak Republic. We've worked several times this year.


This evening was my 17th contact into the English area. I've also worked stations in the Slovak Republic 23 times now.

2 comments:

Larry W2LJ said...

Hey John,

I worked G100RSGB on both 30 and 20 Meters tonight. The 30 Meter station was having a bit of a rough go, because for a while he was sending what sounded like GJ100RSGB, and I thought it was the station from Wales. Then another op must have taken over, because it after a while it became evident that it was G100 and not GJ100.

Jspiker said...

Hello Larry,

Two different bands! Great going!!

It's amazing how just one dash or a dot can make such a difference isn't it? I have the same problems at times. I think it has more to do with the sender than the receiver. It's all spacing, spacing, spacing, and spacing.

Those automatic keyers just don't allow enough time between the letters. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to get it right.