My Most Recent QSO's

Thursday, January 3, 2013

A QRP DX Card from Africa


I don't get many "QRP" DX Cards in the electronic mail box. This one was a welcome sight in the E-QSL Mail Box this morning. It's for a contact I made with OK1DMP/ EA8 when he was set up on a hotel balcony in the Canary Islands. It's near the coast of Africa. We exchanged several e-mails at the time; but I never got a card for the contact. Back in March of 2011, I was using my Isotron 18" indoor antenna. I was also using 5 watts of power. Here's a clipping from the previous e-mail:
I have used FT-817 (2.5W out), “stealth” antenna was 10m LW from hotel balcony at the 3-rd floor to tree about 8m up and with GP counterpoise (4x5m wire) on the balcony.
At the time, this was an unusual contact for me. I knew the Call sign was normally from the Czech Republic. I was confused about the / EA8 and Milan explained it this way:

The answer is simple. EA8/ means the was portable on Canary Island. My home call OK1DMP is definitely Czech Republic but EA8/OK1DMP was my call I have used during my holiday in Canary Islands EA8. The QTH was Fuerteventura Island, Costa Calma (small town at the south-east coast), hotel Fuerteventura Playa (you can see it on Internet, Google Earth and other mapping applications). So, the QSO you achieved is with EA8 DXCC country, NOT with the Czech Republic. Our QSO was difficult because of QSB but congrats to your indoor antenna. I have experimented with magnetic loops but the strong wind blowing at Canary Islands moved with the antenna and destroyed the critical antenna frequency adjustment, so I have refused it…..
My wife and I are playing "Bridge" this evening with some good friends; so no DX attempts will be made tonight. (at least till after the bewitching hour)

Two other cards arrived with this batch from the E-QSL site. One was from Bert F6HKA in France. I placed it on the previous post. The other was from the K3Y/2 station I worked in New York yesterday.


 I love those "lighthouse" cards. I have plans to send some out this summer from West Virginia. I wrote about it a few entries ago. You can be assured it's the ONLY lighthouse in the mountains. hihi

8 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Nice cards John, let us know when you make this special LH activation. It would be nice to work you. Although CW is still computer work here. 73, Bas

Jspiker said...

Hello Bas,

I'll be sure to post it on this blog and also the "QRP Spots" cluster. There's a link on the right side of my blog. 72's

KL8DX said...

Growing up in Lakeside-Marblehead, Ohio there was the Marblehead Lighthouse that I always wanted to activate. I moved before I ever gave it a chance. I love Lighthouses as well. I hope to catch you at the light as well!

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=278

73,
Phil

VE9KK said...

Good evening John, nice when you can have a QRP to QRP contact. Enjoy your Bridge game this evening.
Mike

Jspiker said...

Hello Phil,

I find one of the great things about QRP is the ability to move easily to different locations. It's a lot easier to power a 3 amp rig than a 20 amp rig. It's the difference between a simple battery and a small generator....big difference. hihi

I'm looking forward to operating at this "mountain state lighthouse" this spring.

I like the Ohio lighthouse on the link you sent. Thanks

Jspiker said...

Hello Mike,

The cards weren't with me this evening. The best I could do was play the ones I'd been dealt, the best I could. First round was worth 1400 points but it was all downhill from there. Tonight was all defense.

On the QRP DX contacts...I've worked several with Yagi's in eastern Europe; but very few with a "SWA" (simple wire antenna with NO gain). This was an exception to the rule, and one I will always remember.

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi John, nice contact, indeed a bit confusing using /EA8 at the end of the call. I never heard something like this before. 73 Paul

Jspiker said...

Hello Paul,

It was confusing to me also. At the time I didn't understand it and was glad he responded to my e-mail. Hope things in the Netherlands are going well. 72's