My Most Recent QSO's

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My Daily DX Contact


My Brother and I had an "early morning breakfast" today, in a nearby town, which meant that I missed the "morning window" on 17 meters. I returned to the house around 10:30 and heard only static on the radio.

No DX......anywhere!

Fortunately, I found a station in France (F8DGY) this afternoon around 3 PM local time. The station in France was weak but continued to strengthen. In France, the time would have been around 9 PM. He was in a little town with a population of around 4,000 people and only 120 ft elevation. He had difficulty hearing me but able to shake hands. This station was on the 30 meter band. 

Tomorrow morning I will be having breakfast with a CW radio friend. We meet once a month and talk about our contacts, keys, antennas etc. I enjoy it very much and always look forward to it.

I ordered new cards a few days ago which arrived with the mail today. I continue to return cards I've been sent with a SASE; although I'd much prefer to use the "electronic" E-QSL service.

 I'm a stickler for a stamped return envelope. 



7 comments:

Jeff Davis, KE9V said...

Hi John. Nice snag on 30 in the afternoon. Glad you were able to have breakfast with your brother. Wish I was close enough to join you for breakfast some morning!

Will be looking to see what you catch on the radio tomorrow.

Vy 73 de Jeff KE9V

Jspiker said...

Hello Jeff,

The great thing about being retired is spending time around like minded people. You're always welcome here.

I'll have to rely on 30 meters again tomorrow. Wish me luck.

PE4BAS, Bas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello John, you have some nice QSL cards. I was listening on 17m around 9 O'clock your time, did here some CW but no USA at all. Only a EA8 station calling CQ. Did give some CQ on 18.069 but no one replied, and you were on 30m :-). I'll try to give a CQ on friday again. 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good morning John, I’m looking forward to retirement.....6 years to go!! It's nice to have get togethers and get out of the house. My son lives in the next town over and we try to have coffee once a week together. As for the bands last night I was on 30m and did hear some DX but at the noise level and lots of stations in line to make their contact. I spent my time getting ready for the NAQP CW contest this weekend. Setting up N1MM logger for the test.
Mike

Jspiker said...

Hello Bas,

Sorry to have missed you. There will be many other times. I worked Belarus this morning on 17 meters; it's still my best DX band.

Jspiker said...

Hello Mike,

I've only been able to seriously pursue my radio hobby since retirement. It a golden time of life; but I dread those aging senior years when the body starts to fall apart. I've already learned getting old ain't for sissy's. Lets both hope for good health in those years and quality radio time. hihi