My Most Recent QSO's

Friday, September 27, 2013

A New French Station in the Log Book

I found F2DX on 30 meters; which has now become my favorite band.


I worked this new station in France on the 25th, and although this country is normally an easy catch for me, it’s always exciting to put a new contact into my West Virginia log book. I've now made 48 contacts into France. 

I hear some very strong stations in this country, but occasionally I find some who are using 5 watts or less of power. In that category; I've worked F6DCD F5UKI and K3Y/EU. (The SKCC Special Event Station was actually F6HKA). I worked Bert (F6HKA) with one half of a watt once when we were just playing around and experimenting with the signal. Bert F6HKA is always the perfect gentleman and willing to take the time to “play” for a minute or so, even when he is working a LOT of stations. He enjoys working QRP stations!


As always, the reason I normally hear these stations in France is their use of a good beam antenna. The antenna is always the “clincher” in the contact, but despite the advantage on their part, I find it amazing they can hear my three watt signal from an indoor random wire. 

This latest French station (F2DX) has quite an aluminum farm and space to spare. (yes, I'm envious)

My log book for French stations has contacts on the 30-17-12-10 and 20 meter bands.

4 comments:

Dick said...

Hello John.

Alas, not me. Well, perhaps one day...

73 Dick

Jspiker said...

Hello Dick,

Strange isn't it? West Virginia just doesn't seem to be at the right distance. I know you work many stations on the east coast. I always listen on 20 meters but never seem to hear France there....perhaps one day soon?

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi John, 30 meters will be better now winter season is coming. I like 30 meters too, but I need a better antenna for this band. 73 Paul

Jspiker said...

Hello Paul,

I'm astonished at what a piece of random wire can do with a tuner; I've worked some of my longest contacts with it.