My Most Recent QSO's

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My Bad Back



I've had some serious back problems the last few years. Several years ago, the pain in my left leg became unbearable and I spent several days in the hospital. I actually spent a few months in a wheel chair. Fortunately, after several months of physical therapy, I was able to recover and get back to a normal life. 

Five years later now, I'm experiencing the same problem, but on the other side of my body. Where my left leg had become almost unusable earlier, my right leg hurts so bad now I can barely walk. I'll see my doctor this afternoon for a professional opinion.  

Bed rest is probably the best solution, and making sure I don't further aggravate the degenerating discs on my right side. When the pain subsides, I'll try to strengthen and stretch those muscles to avoid surgery. 

I hate being in the hospital and will avoid it at all cost. (pun intended) 

For the last several days, I haven't been on my feet except to take care of the very basic necessities of life.  I'm not comfortable either laying or sitting in any position, but to keep my sanity, I manage to pull myself to the chair in front of the radio. I'm still making DX contacts daily, but it's too painful to sit for long and  listen  for DX calls. 

My first priority is to reduce the pain in my lower back and my right leg. Until I get that under better control, I'll make an occasional radio contact, log it on QRZ.com, and spend the rest of the day listening to wi-fi radio.

Perhaps the doctor can steer me down the correct recovery path? My radio activity is going to be severely restricted until I can get my back pain under better control. 



7 comments:

Dick said...

Sorry to learn of of your back and leg problems, John. As you mentioned, try non-invasive treatment before going under the knife.

Good Luck and 73
Dick

VE9KK said...

Good evening John, very sorry to hear that you are not feeling so well. I too have a bad lower back...not as close to what you are having. I do hope you get some feedback from the doctor.
Take care of yourself as I know it's very hard to sit still
Mike

Larry W2LJ said...

Hope you feel better, John. Maybe a visit to a chiropractor might be in order?

72 de Larry W2LJ

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi John, sorry to hear about your back problems. It's a nasty kind of thing you don't want to happen. I hope you soon will feel better and that you will recover. All the best, 73 Paul

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello John, sorry to hear this. Has it something to do with the mechanic job you did in the past? Many people have back problems these days. I'm a mechanic myself and sometimes hurt my back, but I'm still young. Hope I will not get problems when getting older. Wishing you a speedy recovery and strength to achieve it. 73, Bas

recumbent conspiracy theorist said...

Good luck and get well soon OM.
-W8MDE

Jspiker said...

Hello Gang,

Thank you all for your concerns about my back problems. My best guess is that it will take a few months to get back to normal again.

My early days working on heavy equipment are taking their toll on me in these later years.

I'm learning that "getting old ain't for sissies".