My Most Recent QSO's

Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Great Description of Morse Code

 I've recently added  The Telegrapher  by AB9NZ to my list of favorite "radio blogs" on this site. Tom has one of the best descriptions of the "classic" Morse Code exchange I've read in a long time.

With his permission, I'd like to share it.

In a December 2011 entry called "599 TU- Every Man a Marconi" he says:

"I can't think of another hobby where eternal signals are created, where one can witness the speed of light, and where a fella can feel the sheer joy of actually dabbling in the supernatural. To me, a quick handshake from some remote outpost, traveling through thousands of miles of aether, is a pleasure and privilige that just shouldn't be denied". 

Congratulations Tom...very well said and I totally agree. I've always thought radio as a form of magic, and especially so, when operated from the field. Hence my  preference for portable operations and "shaking hands" with other portable QRP operators.

The last few weeks, I've also given a lot of thought to the "focus"of my radio blog. As much as I love this hobby, I like reading about "other" things occasionally. Hams are some of the most interesting people I've ever had the privilege to meet. I'll be throwing in some of those interests from time to time.

Such is the life in Charleston, West Virginia.

2 comments:

recumbent conspiracy theorist said...

Tom has a great way with words -I like his blog.

73 Mike

Jspiker said...

Me too....and I like seeing different subjects thrown in the blog. Reminds me of someone else....:-)