I've been making a bunch of contacts on the 40 meter CW QRP frequencies this week and can't figure out why there are so few
memberships in FREE
clubs. It's not that CW use is declining. As a matter of fact, I believe it's just the opposite.
So.........Why would YOU not join a "free" club?
I admit my criticisms are for "selfish reasons" but I bet, out of my last dozen contacts, there's only been one or two that are members of ANY club. I just don't understand......
I'm very partial to QRP contacts and belong to three
different CW clubs. Every one of which has oodles of "awards" for making contacts with their members. I can understand that you can't join ALL the clubs out there, but there are very
few that charge for membership. You can probably guess where I'm going with this now....
Maybe this is an explanation:
1. It cost too much money (free is pretty cheap)
2. I don't have a computer to keep up on club activities. (there's one in every library)
3. I just don't like groups. (why did you go to the trouble of getting your ticket?)
4. I don't know how to read and write (the very less said about this the better)
5. I'm not very good with code (who cares as long as you can send your Call, Name, RST, and QTH? )
As I said earlier, all my criticism is for selfish reasons. (I like those club contacts) but if it doesn't cost anything, at least give me the pleasure of adding to my list of club contacts by getting a free membership number. It's painless, there's NO hidden fees, there's NO fine print......it's FREE.
(All said with a sense of humor)
End of Rant......