My Most Recent QSO's

Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Few Good Spots on the Sun

My day started really early Tuesday morning. I didn't sleep well and found myself in front of the radio at 5 am, waiting for the sun to rise above the valley. I put on the headphones and made a quick scan of the 40 meter band.

I heard and worked a New York (KG2B) station in only a few minutes. Next was a #5 station in Texas (WA5PFJ)followed by a fellow driving to work in Connecticut (AJ1G/M) and then a "ESE" station in Maine. (K1ESE). I've heard that there is an "ESE" call in all 10 call areas and this makes # 2 for me.

The Texas station (WA5PFJ) was a little over a thousand miles and on 40 meters... a good catch.

It seems the sun was blessing us with a few new "spots" and some are saying Cycle 24 is about to start. Regardless...., it was nice to hear a lot of activity.

Around noon, I heard and worked a station in Norway (I didn't get the call correctly and didn't log it) and I also heard another familiar station in the Czech Republic (OK1KT)

Sure hope the bands continue to improve since the 5th Anniversary of the NAQCC club is fast approaching in October. During the week of Oct 12 to the 18th, I'll be operating as N8A for the entire week.

If the weather cooperates, I'll try to get into the field and operate on 20 meters. I've wanted to operate from this spot in the New River Gorge for a long time.

2 comments:

QRP Station M6RDP said...

Wow, that spot looks stunning! What a place to operate radio from. It's nice, isn't it, getting contacts with less effort. I too have just got engrossed in a very beautiful novel and can't put it down! I am kind of hoping conditions aren't too fantastic as radio would be too great a distraction! It's called "The Road Home" by Rose Tremain. Bye, Adam

Jspiker said...

My "best" book about travel is "The World Walker" by Steven M. Newman".

I've been fortunate enough to spend some time with him and his wife biking on an old "rail trail" here in WV.

I brought him to Charleston to promote walking and hiking at an annual "distance walk" of the Sternwheel Regatta.

Many years ago, I was an active "Volksmarcher" and hold a 3000k award.

Steve walked around the world in 1983.

I know you would enjoy reading this one...