My Most Recent QSO's

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Three More DX Stations


I've been busy with some inside house painting this afternoon. I finished early and tuned into twenty meters but didn't hear a lot. I worked another QRP station in Vermont with an unusual call sign. I had to listen carefully as he sent KX9X/1 from Vermont.

 It's always nice to work another QRP station.

Then I had a short QSO with W5ZR in St Martinville Louisiana. We exchanged SKCC numbers.

It was right after that I noticed some of the "big boys" knocking out stations "fast as a jack rabbit can run". They were sending VERY fast.   Hihi

Two of the stations I worked this evening were causing large "pile ups"  but I was hearing them clearly and despite the "blistering" speed they were sending, I was able to work them.

It took me several times before SP5S, (in Poland)  returned my call, but he returned my call clearly (along with some more stuff that I couldn't copy). I still wonder how he heard me. I sent back 559 WV and John and he was off to the next station.

I was just recovering from the first exchange when, a few moments later, I heard a "blistering fast" station from Italy.   (IK2CIO)  


He was sending so fast that it took me (literally) a good 5 minutes before I was sure that I the call correct.  When he answered my call, It was all I could do to respond fast enough not to embarrass myself. My gut feeling says he was at about 35 wpm. This contact was a real challenge but well worth the effort.

It was a welcome relief when I heard OK3AA sending at a slower pace which I could follow easily. Milan was in the Czech Republic and we actually took a minute to say hello. He asked me how much power I was running when I sent my /QRP on the end of my call. I responded with 5 watts and an indoor antenna. Hihi He also got a chuckle out of it. Milan was just 3 miles short of another 5,000 mile contact for me. (should have been at 4 watts. hihi)


That's three more DX stations this afternoon.

I'm glad I finished my painting. (I primed a window and will put the finishing coat on tomorrow) We had a tremendous storm this evening. It brought down some of the neighbors tree limbs on our property. No real damage, but I removed a small branch from the cable TV wire. I was afraid it would break the wire as it blew in the wind.

I might have worked a few more DX stations (if I had the perseverance) but I'm quite happy with these. The band was in very good shape again.

3 comments:

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello John,
I see what you mean.
3 Miles short for a fabulous 1000 MPW QSO ;-)

From The Netherlands (PA) to Canada or the USA I always use less than 5 watts, unless I choose too. Then every QSO is a 1000 MPW QSO.

From John N8ZYA in EM98ei to Milan OK3AA in JN79cs is 4490 Miles
Did you use 4.5 watts?

How do you calculate "Miles per Watt" ?
I use the "N9SSA Distance and MPW Calculator" Verson 1.2
73, Bert PA1B

Jspiker said...

Hello Bert,

I normally use the distance calculated from the QRZ.com site. There's also one from the ARCI site (which I recently joined)....still have to get into the habit of 4 watts when working DX. Hihi

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello John,
As a double check I always compare the locator and the address that I find.
I do this with Google Maps and the FB Find your QTH Locator site of Laurent Haas F6FVY.

http://f6fvy.free.fr/qthLocator/fullScreen.php

Set your Locator as start point for the distance. By clicking on any point you can see the distance immediately. hi
I use the site to find the distance to any DX country.

Good luck, 73 Bert PA1B