My Most Recent QSO's

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

QRP Fox at 1,472 Miles

The band was totally dead tonight during the QRP Fox Hunt (see link on this blog) and I only heard ONE station (K5DI) in 1 1/2 hours of listening between 14.050 and 14.070.

I had listened earlier this evening and knew the band was totally dead so didn't expect to hear either QRP station in New Mexico or Utah.

When Karl (K5DI) popped up at 0151z, he was there only for an instant but I think I caught him and exchanged the RST, State, Name, and 5 watts.

I'll watch for the log on the "fox site" in a few minutes...I hope my call sign is there.

This was VERY hard to do tonight! QRP x QRP


ps...Yes, I'm there and the only West Virginia station in the book!

2 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Yes, conditions are poor and it's hard to make a proper qso. But just one a day makes it good. Yesterday I made my first qrp ssb qso on 160 meter. My antenna is a miracle whip with a 10 meter wire. It should be impossible, but they heard me, OK no dx, but just the fact the copy me. 73, Paul PC4T

Jspiker said...

Hello Paul,

Yes....I feel the same way. Any signal is better than NO signal and I have lot's of fun making contacts.

I'm currently feeling a little down after the trip to New York and getting to use a better antenna in a better location.

I'm almost at sea level here (600 ft) and between two narrow hills with an eight story apartment building next door.

When a distant station works me...they need a pat on the back.

I'm a challenge!

Perhaps we should be in our own special catagory? Hihi