My Most Recent QSO's

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Old Shortwave Broadcasters


Reading one of my favorite blogs in The Netherlands (PE4BAS) , brought back fond memories of the days when big International Short-Wave Stations were the delight of my generation. I liked his link (originally by PH5C)  so well that I thought I would also share it with my readers.

This video is a long one, but is guaranteed to bring back a sense of nostalgia. It also makes me think about those old receivers with "great audio". Many times, I wish those days were still here, and I can say with quite a bit of certainty, the programming was much better then, than anything you will hear on the local radio and television shows of today.



I've fed the audio on this clip into a FM transmitter and re-broadcasted  it throughout the house several times today. I can remember well my old Allied SWL Receiver  as well as an older Knight Kit regenerative receiver I listened to as a kid. Those were good days for radio...very good days.

Quite honestly, living in the city now, I can't hear many the current stations due to electrical noise and I use an internet connected wi-fi radio when listening to world wide SWL stations. Many of the stations on this video are "off the air" now due to high operating costs and maintenance issues.

But there was  something special about hearing a long distance station "over the air".  It's just not the same. It's difficult to put into words, but there was a magic associated with broadcasting in those days.

That is now gone in the modern world. There are times when I wish the old days were back.

Congratulations again to PE4BAS for the post on his blog. I would not be surprised to see this video floating around the web for several more weeks. It's sure to be a hit with the "baby boomers".




5 comments:

Dick said...

Hi John and thanks for posting the video. I was once answered on the Radio Australia Mailbag program. Was sent a written transcript. Also interesting to remember the African colonies of France, etc. Radio Brazzaville in French Equatorial Africa comes to mind. This was during my SWL period of the mid 1950's.

Dick said...

Hi John and thanks for posting the video. I was once answered on the Radio Australia Mailbag program. Was sent a written transcript. Also interesting to remember the African colonies of France, etc. Radio Brazzaville in French Equatorial Africa comes to mind. This was during my SWL period of the mid 1950's.

Jspiker said...

Hello Dick,

I really miss those days, and especially the nice audio from the older SWL receivers. SWL back then, and even now, was much more than what it is today.

A few years ago, I heard Arnie Coro (CO2KK) transmitting QRP CW on 20 meters. I attempted to return my call. Although he couldn't get my entire call sign, he got most of it and when I sent him an e-mail, he knew exactly who I was and did a nice response on his "Radio Habanna Cuba DX Program.

I have it recorded on a cassette tape but never transferred it to a wave file. Got'a do that sometime.

Hope you're doing well. It seems we're into another cold, snowy week. The weather has just gone bonkers over here. 72's

PA2OLD said...

And then all those number stations, especially the East German (DDR).
Nice Bolg you have!
73 Ben de PA2OLD
www.pa2old.nl

Jspiker said...

Hello Ben,

Nice to hear from you and stop by anytime. 72's