My Most Recent QSO's

Friday, October 2, 2009

Ames Iowa Contact


Since retirement a few years ago, I’ve worked several stations (7) in the state of Iowa. Some of the cities are Des Moines (the state capitol), Council Bluffs, Spencer, Chillicothe, Cedar Rapids and Ottumwa.

We have relatives in Ottumwa, which is about 700 radio miles from us. A few weeks ago, I worked a station there (W0NBP) and I asked him to say hello to them from my 5 watt station here in West Virginia.

Last night I got a good signal report from a station (WA0VQY) in Ames Iowa. It’s a city about the same size as my home city. Ames Iowa is the birthplace of several interesting places and people.

Iowa State University has been the center of Agriculture in the Midwest. I remember driving across miles and miles of flat “corn fields” and comparing it to the vast mountains in West Virginia. What they call “hills” there, we consider “bumps” in the road.

George Washington Carver was born here. “He served as an example of the importance of hard work, a positive attitude, and a good education. His humility, humanitarianism, good nature, frugality, and rejection of economic materialism, also have been admired widely”.


I also found an interesting code he lived by:

Be clean both inside and out.
Neither look up to the rich nor down on the poor.
Lose, if need be, without squealing.
Win without bragging.
Always be considerate of women, children, and older people.
Be too brave to lie.
Be too generous to cheat.
Take your share of the world and let others take theirs

2 comments:

Dick said...

Well said, Mister Carver.

73 Dick

QRP Station M6RDP said...

Hallo John,

I really like that code to live by. I have copied it onto my laptop to remind me when I get jealous of other station's amazing DX achievements, or snotty about people with loads of money, or look down on those with too little of it.

Thanks for that. 73 Adam