My Most Recent QSO's

Sunday, June 19, 2011

NAQCC 40 Meter CW Net


The North American QRP CW Club has started their 40 meter nets for the summer season. Tonight I joined in on the fun. The net control operator was AF4LB near Yorktown, Va. It was especially interesting for me,  since I once lived near Yorktown and worked at the Newport News shipyards.  One of the many hats I've worn over the years was as a  "turret lathe" operator making precision bolts and parts for ships and submarines.

I'll be checking into this net more often now. I enjoyed the format and listening to the other members on the net. Dan (AF4LB) did an excellent job and was able to copy and work all the stations. I received a 559 report with my 10 watts and indoor antenna. A Canadian station checked in (VE3FUJ) and another in Maine (K1IEE). Also on board was KA9VSF and AC8AP. There were several others but I didn't jot down the call signs. However, It was really interesting to look at the Bio's on the web as they talked with net control.
My little net book worked perfectly.



The reason I haven't been checking into the net before now is that I no longer have the 80 meter antenna. I don't care for 80 meters so I sold it last year. I've also sold off nearly all my old MFJ gear, a portable antenna and a TNC that I used to contact the Russian Space Station many years ago. I have some old 2 meter gear that is going soon also. I just don't use it anymore except for a little MW handi-talkie.

DX was totally dismal tonight....nothing on 20 meters at all. The worst I've heard in several days now. I mean...not even a peep anywhere....bummer.

I spent the earlier part of the day visiting with my son, at my daughter in laws parents home. Of course, the excuse was "fathers day" but I was surprised to find another musician there with two guitars. I don't have any pictures but it was a very nice time for both of us as we exchanged tunes with each other. He was a very good lead guitar player.

West Virginia is an amazing place for music...it's almost a state pastime where everyone seems to pick and grin.

5 comments:

VE9KK said...

Sounds like a nice way to spend a relaxing evening. If I remember I will check out the net on Sunday evening as well and check in.

Jspiker said...

Hello Mike,

It would be nice to hear you. For some unknown reason, I actually get into your area well. Despite my poor location, there's a pipeline into the Great Lakes area and also towards Maine. I'll be listening for you next week.

Glad you had a good time on your trip. I'd love to go back sometime. 72's

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello John, playing some guitar with another fellow sounds like fun. Although I can't play any instrument I like to listen to music. I remember the atmosphere from my youth liustening to guys that jammed the guitar at a campfire. I enjoyed my first fathersday yesterday...73, Bas

Jspiker said...

Congratulations Bas...Those kids are great things, especially when you get older! I'll try to video the next time and share some music.

Dick said...

http://www.archive.org/details/78rpm

Page 8

Jimmy Rogers, the original. Old recordings by the master.

73 Dick